Page banner

Our History

The Sisters Of Mercy first established a presence in Sunderland back in 1843, and St. Anthony’s Grammar school was established in 1902.  St. Anthony’s received state recognition in 1904, and in 1921 a Sixth Form was opened to continue the education of the pupils.

St. Anthony’s moved to its current site in Thornhill Terrace in 1939 and has undergone many changes and transformations since then.  There have been many educational changes since St. Anthony’s was first established in Sunderland, and the school has adapted to these changes too.  The Catholic ethos and support of the Sisters of Mercy, however, has remain unchanged:  St. Anthony’s is a Catholic girls’ school that has provided high quality education for girls in Sunderland for more than a century.

Here is a brief summary of the history of St. Anthony’s:

1972 St. Anthony’s became a direct grant comprehensive
1976 St. Anthony’s became a voluntary aided comprehensive
1999 St. Anthony’s achieved Technology College status
2000 St. Anthony’s became a Beacon School, and joined the Hexham and Newcastle Catholic Partnership
2009 St. Anthony’s added Languages to its specialisms
2011 St. Anthony’s became a Leading Edge School
2012 St. Anthony’s acheived High Performing School status
2012 St. Anthony’s achieved academy status and became St Anthony’s Girls’ Catholic Academy
2013 St. Anthony’s achieved ‘Outstanding in all four categories’ in the March 2013 Ofsted inspection
2014 St. Anthony’s was awarded Teaching School status in September 2014

 

St. Anthony’s Girl’s Catholic Academy is looking forward to an exciting and successful future as it embarks on a major site redevelopment that will provide state-of-the-art facilities for all of its students and staff.